My dear Jennifer tagged me, and since the dishes need to be done, I figured I’d answer this instead!
“Seven Things You May Not Know About Me.”
Hmmm, I tend to share a LOT on this blog, so it’s going to be a bit tough, but here goes:
1) I spent a good chunk of my 20’s as a bulimic. I even had a “bulimia buddy.” This guy named Rob and I would go out to dinner, then excuse ourselves to our respective restrooms, come back to the table and exchange breath mints. (sick, sick, sick!) I look back at pictures of myself during that time, and I was thinner, but SO unhappy. I’m still working on some of my food issues, but I’ve been “purge free” for about 5 years now.
2) The main ringer on my cell phone is Copacabana, by Barry Manilow. I saw him in concert when I was in High School. With my parents. I LOVE me some Barry Manilow. ‘nuff said.
3) I had sex with a guy. It was my early 20’s, the “affair” lasted about 3 months or so. He was a friend from my theatre program in college. I didn’t want to be a lesbian, and tried to give the whole “straight thing” a shot. Needless to say…
4) I went to a community college for my first two years of college education. After I graduated High School, I lived in Israel for a year. At the time, I had still wanted to be an actress. The last 3 months there, I had an internship with the Beer-Sheva Theatre, and we took Comedy of Errors, the MUSICAL, in HEBREW around the country, and I was a general PA (production assistant). I fell in LOVE with technical theatre right then and there, came back to Portland for the summer, and went to Kingsborough Community College (I had auditioned for NYU, but they took one look at my academic record and pretty much laughed – I was WAY too busy doing theatre to focus on academics in High School). And then transferred to Hofstra after getting my Associates degree.
5) I was OBSESSED with the Movie: Escape To Witch Mountain. I recall being enthralled with the lead actor, Ike Eisenmann – I WANTED to be his ESP sister. I think I even pretended to HAVE ESP for a while after seeing the movie. I would tell friends that I would “know moments before” my mother would call me in for dinner. Looking back, I had a WILD imagination, and that’s just one of the bonuses of being an only child, I guess. I still get flashes of the movie in my mind on occasion, and I really think it played a huge part in my desire for a sibling when I was younger…
6) Bambi and Watership Down ruined me. To this day, I CANNOT and WILL NOT watch a movie where an animal is the main character. This includes Lassie, Old Yeller, Flicka, Flipper, Charlotte’s Web, you name it. I’m too afraid of them getting hurt. I don’t know WHAT I’ll do when Malka wants to go see movies like that – maybe Mommy Narda will have to take her, because I’d just be covering my eyes and hyperventilating the entire time.
7) I THINK I’m a good bowler, but I’m just OK. I was on the Broadway Show Bowling League for a while, but I mainly enjoyed bowling because it’s one of the few sports where you can drink AND smoke at the same time…
OK, I now tag the following people: